January 12, 2014

Look what we found...

...in a pond round the corner from Jon and Janice's place:



He/she was only about 5 feet and let me walk up within 15 feet before moving like lightning into the water.  It was only after I walked back to the car that Jon reminded me that its Mom might have been close by.

A quick update on the boat.  It turns out that the starboard shaft was bent and twisted and therefore couldn't be straightened properly.  So, another new starboard shaft is being made. That's $1800.  All four props were unbalanced and needed rework.  I am having two done using PropScan techniques which result in a very accurate pitch profile ($600 each).  The other two will be reworked using traditional manual techniques - good enough for spares ($150 each).  The running gear will be painted with anti-fouling to withstand long periods at rest in the Bahamas.  Add the labour and haul-out costs and this will be a big bill!  We are hoping to relaunch early this week.

We really appreciate Jon and Janice's hospitality in the meantime.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have tried to reply to many but for some reason I can't. So please don't be offended if it seems I am ignoring you!