January 25, 2014

Time to upgrade TV and stereo.

I have been wanting to update the TV and stereo for a while. Those who know me well will wonder why it has taken this long!  Admittedly I did change the helm stereo radio as soon as I started bringing the boat home.

There are two stereos on board, both of which were the original fit from 1996.  The helm stereo feeds two sets of speakers.  Two in the fly-bridge/helm area and two on the aft deck.  The stereo in the main cabin feeds three sets of speakers.  One set in each of the the forward and aft cabins each with a local volume control, and the third set via an amplifier in the main salon.

There are three TVs.  Those in the fore and aft cabins were analogue only so didn't work with the new digital over the air TV.  The TV in the main salon was old but was a replacement for the original.

Stereo:

As already mentioned, I changed the helm stereo at the beginning.  I bought a Fusion unit that took an iPod internally.  It is to the left of the white marine VHF radio below.



I also changed the fly-bridge speakers for Sony marine speakers at the same time.  Later I found that the aft deck speakers had dissolved cones.  I was going to simply remove them and put covers over the holes.  However I couldn't find covers.  So I bought two more Sony marine speakers and installed and wired them directly to the new helm radio.  




The old system had a remote control at the aft deck.  I haven't changed it for a Fusion one yet.

In the main salon I ripped out the old Clarion CD Changer and changed the radio for a Poly Planar on that also takes an iPod internally.




I will be cutting the panel below the radio to open up the cupboard where the radio resides and installing a radio remote at the galley.  I also changed the speakers in the salon to a pair made by JL Audio.

Television:

I removed the old analogue flat panel from the forward stateroom and will not replace it.  I removed the old analogue flat panel from the aft stateroom and replaced it with a modern 22" Samsung unit.

For the main salon I removed the Sony 32" unit (currently for sale) and installed a 40" Samsung 3D Smart TV.  I also installed a Polk sound bar and a Samsung Blue-ray player (donated by Jon and Janice) to complement our existing Western Digital TV Hub.  Jo also replaced the rug in front of the stairs to the aft deck.


All makes for a great improvement to our TV and listening experience.



1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! :) Love the rug Jo! Did Spooky get a prezzie too? xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have tried to reply to many but for some reason I can't. So please don't be offended if it seems I am ignoring you!