November 7, 2013

Dismal Swamp

We have traversed the Dismal Swamp and bypassed the bad lock. 



Everyone, mostly, did the same thing.  There are two locks on the dismal swamp.  The first one, shown above with Jo and below without, was jam packed with boats trying to go South.


The white catamaran, aptly named "Black Cat" was with us all the way through the swamp.

The Dismal Swamp is well known as a thin waterway that most folks say is beautiful.  Well, I think it is, for the first mile. Then that mile repeats itself for another and another.  It's narrow and it's no wake which means you can't pass or do more than 6 mph. Oh, it's also straight.  Very straight. For miles.


At the last lock, our friends were behind some sailboats that insisted on maintaining their sailing order and prevented them making the last lock of the day.  We made Lamb's marina just after dark.  This waterway has no lighted navigation!

We left Lamb's as soon as there was enough light, about 0620.  One very long day, another brown water canal and much rain later we are tied up in Belhaven, NC at 1600.  


My driving licence and I are reunited.  Our friends are at Alligator River Marina and should join up with us tomorrow.  I have a raw water pump being replaced here in the morning and I have a new battery isolator, which I had shipped here, to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have tried to reply to many but for some reason I can't. So please don't be offended if it seems I am ignoring you!