November 14, 2013

On to Charleston...

Up at dawn and on the water at 0700.  The water was freezing on the dock as we untied.  We ran down towards the Atlantic inlet but turned to follow the inland Intracoastal route.  Spooky was keeping a good watch out but we both missed the dead head that suddenly appeared right in front of us.



I put us in neutral but we rode over it.  Thumps and thuds later we had a vibration which I later isolated to the starboard side.  I found we had a relatively vibration free speed at 1000 rpm.  We have bent a prop.  We had hit deadheads in the Erie Canal but not enough to warrant a haul.  This time is different.  I decided to continue and to get on the internet and phone to find the right place for a haul out.  I settled on Ross Marine just beyond Charleston.  We ran on to Charleston.  Jo adjusted the US courtesy flag this time.


The water was shallow as, although we were getting a great push from the tide, it was a low tide and this area is very prone to shoaling.  White knuckle cruising!

We approached Charleston and our friends dropped off to fuel up and dock in the city while we carried on to our repair yard.


This is one of the bridges connecting Charleston.  We motored about 10 miles past to Ross Marine.

The repair yard has regular slips with power and water but no amenities.  Kind of like being at anchor and plugged in.  I like it!  Quiet, no river traffic and secure.

A beautiful sunset.


A wedding...


And spooky wanted out.  There was too much Shit Hawk (Sea Gull) excrement on the dock to allow it though...


We are due to be hauled at about 10am tomorrow.  If it's just props then I have two spares and we can be on our way.  If a shaft is bent then I can see 2 to 3 business days out of the water.  That means we are in a motel for the duration.  Tomorrow will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers and fingers crossed that it's only a bent prop ;) Spooky looks to be enjoying the trip :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have tried to reply to many but for some reason I can't. So please don't be offended if it seems I am ignoring you!