May 22, 2011

Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

We headed out from Cape May this morning at 0630 for a fairly long trip to Waretown, NJ.  We started on the outside and spent about three hours that way but the forecast of 2 to 3 footers was very optimistic. After an hour of the occasional over-the-top-of-the-boat spray we headed for Great Egg Harbour inlet. We passed Atlantic City on the inland side through some very interesting New Jersey neighbourhoods.  



When we passed over Little Egg Harbour Inlet  I saw the depth sounder reading start shooting upwards where it should not have been according to the chart and throttled back to idle.  Here we go again I thought.  And so it was - on a sandbar again but this time very slowly, not hard aground at 20 knots.  But with the tide almost at it's peak and not able to reverse out I needed TowBoat US again and quickly.  They obliged and pulled me off slowly and no damage caused.  

Now for those who think I can't read a chart I am going to show you both charts from the groundings and you be the judge.  In my defence I would also point out that one hour earlier I took the right side of a red per the ICW convention and saw my depth plummet when the charted soudings indicated I should have gone left of it.  Grounding 1 was just south of Amelia Island and the Georgia Border:




I was travelling North from the ICW and crossing Nassau Sound doing 20 knots. What shows as 13 feet of water was in fact 2.5 at low tide (which it was, of course).  High tide adds 7 feet of water and I would have sailed right over the top without incident. That shoal just north west of the grounding point star had grown and not been dredged.  Now for today:




My route line shows on this screen cap.  You see where it shows 17 feet odd?  Well, even at hight tide it has shoaled to 2.5 feet.  From the chart I am at a loss to explain the depth readings.


Anyway, this time we were luckier and there was no damage and we are now safely tied up somewhat later than planned but safely!


Now we watch the weather and the canals.  We need good weather to get into the Hudson River as this has to be done on the Atlantic.



2 comments:

  1. 17 is not your lucky number, Keith. Glad there were no injuries and no damage to the boat.

    -Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now I understand why you were distracted when we spoke. Praying for nice weather! We miss you! xoxo p.s. everything at the house is good. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I have tried to reply to many but for some reason I can't. So please don't be offended if it seems I am ignoring you!